[IGSTK-Developers] Re: Tool orientation calibration

Hui Zhang zhang at isis.imac.georgetown.edu
Tue Dec 20 12:42:30 EST 2005

Hi, David,

Thanks for your comment. That class can be firstly tested with
FourViewTrackingWithCT example. With the modified tracker tool calibration
calculation, we can see whether this class will give a correct rotation
element to transform the default Y-axis aligned igstkCylinederObject to
Z-axis aligned tracked tools. I have tested it with the general rotation,
such as from Y-axis to Z-axis and it returned the correct quaternion, but it
needs to be verified in the real application.

About the "ReferenceCalibration" class I mentioned before, I dunno the
group's opition whether we need this component in the IGSTK. If they think
it is worth to add this class and can be practically used in the real
application, I can try to add it. For Patick's case, he can input the tip's
translation (x, y, z) and another 'end point' such as (x, y, z + needle's
length) to get the full calibration matrix, which can be input to
TrackerTool's SetCalibrationTransform method. And as you pointed before, the
interface of this class will be a bit tricky for it should handle all
'points' from 3D to 6D, that is what I am thinking about.

Regards,
James