[IGSTK-Developers] Position the CylinerSpatialObject

Julien Jomier jjomier at cs.unc.edu
Sun Dec 18 13:27:29 EST 2005

Patrick, Luis,

I don't think we really need these functions.

 From the current design we have, the ToolCalibrationTransform defines
the location of the tracker w.r.t the local origin of the object and the
PatientTransform defines the location of the patient w.r.t to the tracker.
These two transforms are sufficient to localize the tool in the OR.

For a tool, the only point you care about is the tip of the tool
(correct me if I'm wrong here). So it is just a matter of defining a
common coordinate frame among tools in IGSTK. My first impression is to
always set the tip of the object at (0,0,0) and align the object in the
X axis. I think David suggested the Z axis, but I cannot see any
particular reason for this, David can you tell us more?

Once we have defined the common local frame for the tools, depending on
how the tracker is physically attached to the object, the user can set
the ToolCalibrationTransform to define the exact position of the tracker
w.r.t to the tip of the tool.

Patrick, can you tell me what problem you encounter with the
ToolCalibrationTransform?

BTW, I've implemented a tracker class for the Flock of Birds, David (and
others) you've done a very nice job with the tracker class, it took me
no time to do the basic implementation.

I'm also working on making some ToolSpatialOjbects, if someone has some
blueprints for the NDI tools that would be great.

Thanks,

Julien