[IGSTK-Developers] calibration (followup to David and James'sdiscussion)

David Gobbi dgobbi at atamai.com
Thu Dec 1 16:53:07 EST 2005

Hui Zhang wrote:

> Hi, David and Ziv,
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ziv Yaniv"
> <zivy at isis.imac.georgetown.edu>

We will need intuitive methods for setting the orientation, because not
many people are familiar enough with quaternions.  So there could be two
methods:

 SetToolPrincipalAxis(vx, vy, vz) -- set a vector that points along the
tool axis towards the tool top
 SetToolFaceNormal(nx, ny, nz) -- set a vector to define a  that "face"
of the tool, this vector must be perpendicular to the tool axis

The "tool face" is for when you want to use a pointer as a virtual
ultrasound probe, it will define the orientation of the plane that you
want to use as the virtual ultrasound plane.  This is only useful for
6DOF tools, not for 5DOF tools.

These two vectors can be put together to create the quaternion that is
used as the orientation.  The NDI tool architect software does something
very similar to this.

 - David