[IGSTK-Developers] calibration (followup to David and James's discussion)

Ziv Yaniv zivy at isis.imac.georgetown.edu
Thu Dec 1 12:50:51 EST 2005

Hi David and James,

   Following your discussion from yesterday I just wanted to comment on
the use of pivot calibration.
   Pivot calibration only gives the translation between the tool tip and
the tracked coordinate system .
   The way James uses it to get the orientation of the tool relies on
the following assumptions:
   1.we have a cylindrical tool (pointer, needle, etc.).
   2. the origin of the tracked coordinate system is on the axis of the
cylinder.

   This is the case for all the electromagnetic tools we have (needles,
catheters).
    This approach will not work for many cylindrical tools, as we are
not guaranteed
     that the origin of the tracked coordinate system  is on the axis of
the cylinder.
    I do not know of generic calibration routines that will give the 5
degrees of freedom for pointer like tools without any
    assumptions or specific hardware (in my old lab we used a Traxtal
calibration jig with the math tailored to it).

    As IGSTK aims for a wide audience I believe pivot calibration to get
the translation is sufficient.
    Users that want the additional  orientation information will have to
write their custom code that fits
    their specific setup (calibration jig, assumptions 1+2 are valid, etc.).

                                                    Ziv