[IGSTK-Developers] Re: public.kitware.com: Dashboards & State-Machines for Applications.

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Aug 29 11:58:08 EDT 2005

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for fixing the build01 and build02 machine's configurations.

---

About your question regarding the Applications and the State Machine:

You are right !

The use of the State Machines at the component level is still not a
full safeguard. We must also use state machine for representing the
normal workflow of the surgical application.

The difficulty here is that we don't have a way of forcing the
application developer to use a state machine in order to guide
her/his app. Maybe we should introduce a mechanism for doing so...

For example, Qt has the QtApp class from which your applications
can derive. We could impose a similar restriction on IGSTK, by
adding a igstk::Application class, from which all the final applications
must derive. In this way we could introduce C++ mechanisms for forcing
the developers to have a State-Machine-Controlled workflow.

We should probably discuss this further in the tcon, or even create
a Wiki page about the pros and cons.

Luis