[Ctk-developers] 9th CTK Hackfest summary

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin jchris.fillionr at kitware.com
Wed May 14 15:50:55 EDT 2014

Hi CTK community,

Few days ago, we were all at work in St Louis attending the 9th CTK
hackfest hosted by Lawrence Tarbox and Dan Marcus from Mallinckrodt
Institute of Radiology of the Washington University in St. Louis School of
Medicine.

You can read more about this great week here:

       http://www.kitware.com/blog/home/post/676

The content of the post (without hyperlinks) is also copied below:

8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------

Hosted by Lawrence Tarbox and Dan Marcus from Mallinckrodt Institute of
Radiology of the Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine, the
9th CTK hackfest was again a great success !

During the week, the group of international and enthusiastic hackers
addressed a large number of topics including DICOM support, CLIs, XNAT and
also the CTK build and testing infrastructure.

--==[ DICOM ]==-

dcmjs.org - We created dcmjs - A javascript cross-compilation of dcmtk that
can be re-used in a HTML5 compliant browser. It allows the analysis and the
process of DICOM images directly within the browser. Two demos have been
crafted: (1) dcmjs dump to “View the header of a dicom file” and (2) dcmjs
view to "View the pixel data of a dicom file”

WG27 - DICOM and Web technology - We discussed with Lawrence Tarbox about
the possible direction to consider regarding the support of web technology
in DICOM. Some notes and links have been reported here:
http://www.commontk.org/index.php/CTK_DICOM_Web_Services

CTK DICOM widgets have been improved to better support the Quantitative
Image Informatics for Cancer Research project (QIICR). Details list of
improvements is reported here:
https://github.com/QIICR/ProjectIssuesAndWiki/wiki/Slicer-Infrastructure-Projects

--==[ CLIs ]==-

MedInria integration - In order to fully leverage the CLI framework, CTK
has been integrated into the MedInria build system. The CLI plugin was also
updated to the latest version of the medInria internal APIs, and
preliminary work was done to integrate the CLI framework more natively into
the medInria architecture. Checkout the list of frameworks that already
integrated the CLI mechanism:
http://www.commontk.org/index.php/CLI_In_Context.

SlicerChronicle - A Slicer module that communicates with Chronicle has been
prototyped. Chronicle is a scalable, distributed, standards-based database
to support detailed descriptions of patient state and treatment scenarios
in support of multi-system modelling. See
https://github.com/pieper/SlicerChronicle

--==[ XNAT ]==-

CTK XNAT support has been extended and improved to fully leverage qRestAPI
library capabilities. qRestAPI is simple Qt library allowing to
synchronously or asynchronously query a REST server. Improvements include
support for addition of new subjects, folders and data, as well as saving
changed objects back to the XNAT server. Further, access to assessments,
reports and forms was improved/added.

--==[ CTK infrastructure ]==-

Qt5 support - User pull requests updating both CTK and PythonQt have been
consolidated and reviewed. In the coming weeks, corresponding work will be
finalized and integrated into CTK.

Back to “regular” CDash layout - When establishing the CTK infrastructure,
we initially chose to “hijack” the capabilities of CDash to support
subprojects to display build and test results of CTK internal libraries as
subprojects. While the initial idea was ambitious, it complexified the
underlying infrastructure and make the review of submissions more
difficult. We decided to revert to a more traditional layout and present
result on a single consolidated page.

TravisCI - Work has been done to leverage the continuous integration
platform TravisCI, when integrated. Every integration to CTK master branch
will trigger a build and associated build and testing results will be
uploaded to CDash.

CTK Debian package - We continue our effort to provide CTK packages on
Debian based linux distribution. Details reported here:
http://www.commontk.org/index.php/Debian_Packaging

Bug tracker - We reviewed the long standing issues and closed the one which
were not relevant any more.

This post was collaboratively edited and reviewed by the CTK hackers.

--
+1 919 869 8849