[Ctk-developers] Debian builds of ITK for non-x84/amd64 architectures

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Wed Nov 6 23:43:54 EST 2013

 - re-send with address for lists -

Hi Dominique and Steve,

> As Dominique mentioned, policy for the official build daemon machines forbids
> network access from the build.  So, a while back, I asked around for some
> other machines to use for nightly builds.  I got a couple of offers of a login,
> but I lacked the time to set up and maintain the nightly.

Thanks for the information here.  It is good to have both an
understanding of Debian's build machine policies, and a link to the
current builds.

A lack of fast enough hardware for these architectures is a challenge.
 The cross architecture build system that Debian has set up is
impressive. For some of these architectures, cross-compiling with
limited testing on the native architecture may be the only feasible
option, but that requires extra build configuration.

> The other hard truth is that having a nightly build is not enough.  Each
> architecture needs a champion who will investigate the failures, do extra
> testing or develop patches.  The ITK community won't do it on their own.  Even
> with a nightly build submitted to cdash.
>
> I'm willing to help out with advice but I simply lack the time to do very much
> follow-up for non-mainstream architectures.  Truthfully, I don't have much
> time even for amd64 so more blood for Debian packaging would be welcome!

Yes!

Thanks for your much appreciated work.

Matt