[Ctk-developers] problem compiling dcmtk

Marco Nolden m.nolden at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Mar 6 13:10:57 EST 2012

Hi Michael,

thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware of that wiki page. For me
it would be a perfect solution to stick to these snapshots within CTK.
Do they include some version info that makes them distinguishable,
either on the CMake side or as c-style define?

Best
Marco

On 03/06/2012 06:58 PM, Michael Onken wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> On 06.03.2012 17:18, Marco Nolden wrote:
>> e.g. announced by OFFIS. I found
>> http://dicom.offis.de/download/dcmtk/snapshot/ with a snapshot from
>> February. @Michael: is this somehow "official", what are the
>> criteria for releasing a snapshot?
>
> This is official. For a few years now we release snapshots quite
> frequently every few months. These
> - at least compile on XP 32 Bit and Visual Studio 2008 as well as on
>     Debian Linux 64 Bit with gcc 4.1
> - are released if a "certain amount" of important bug fixes have been
>     been integrated
> - and are often released after a larger feature has been
>     fully implemented.
>
> We announce those snapshots on the super popular wiki page:
>
>      http://support.dcmtk.org/wiki/dcmtk/news/start
>
> We also add the commit hash, if you like (done now for the snapshots
> since 3.6.0). The only thing that is more up-to-date than a snapshot is
> the public git repository which is updated nearly on a daily basis but
> may contain incomplete fixes or features.
>
> @Andras: The dcmrt module is not even in the snapshot or visible in git.
> We give it to interested parties. Currently, somebody is taking care of
> it to make it available; I guess it's in the next snapshot or the one
> afterwards. I'm sorry you cannot share it with everybody immediately. If
> this is really important to you, we find a solution.
>
> I think I said it in earlier discussions: It is a good idea to refer to
> the snapshots from CTK. If they do not compile on some platforms (MINGW
> or the like), send us patches. We are always happy to fix it :) We also
> (really) should setup a dashboard you guys could send build results to,
> I know...
>
> If you like hosting a "copy" of dcmtk on github, e.g. to apply patches
> that are not yet integrated into the official DCMTK code, it's fine for
> us. Of course we should avoid that code on github drifts away into a
> serious fork.
>
> We would prefer not to branch on our side, for different reasons
> (technical and non-technical), nor we like tagging the snapshots.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Michael

Dipl.-Inform. Med. Marco Nolden
Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum       (German Cancer Research Center)
Div. Medical & Biological Informatics          Tel: (+49) 6221-42 2325
Im Neuenheimer Feld 280                        Fax: (+49) 6221-42 2345
D-69120 Heidelberg                             eMail: M.Nolden at dkfz.de