[Ctk-developers] DICOM Application Hosting / Sophia-Antipolis Hackfest

OFFIS DICOM Team dicom at offis.de
Thu Sep 8 11:54:49 EDT 2011

Dear Sascha and everybody,

On 08.09.2011 17:09, Sascha Zelzer wrote:

> First of all, I would like to know how many people are interested in
> working on this topic during the hackfest (I'm sure Benoit is in ;-)
> ). Maybe we can also identify other topics so people can get a little
> organized before the hackfest.

Thanks Sascha for starting organizing things and people _before_
November :-) I would be happy to join the app hosting work during the
hackfest, if this makes sense. I would more look on the lower level
parts that I would see in DCMTK, e.g. working on fast access into DICOM
data in order to respond to incoming XPath queries.

> For the DICOM Application Hosting, I would like to see something in
> the direction of a "conformance test suite". Meaning, some tools
> which make testing and diagnosing of our own implementation and
> others far easier. This could drive our work on implementing more of
> the specs and help others check "DICOM Part 19 conformance".

I support this idea; since there are not too many implementations so far
I would expect that these are mainly tests for ourselves now -- however
this is in fact necessary ;) And will foster further implementations,
indeed.

Other DICOM things that I have in mind for the hackfest (or hopefully
even before) are
- a decent FindDCMTK.cmake (I know you are waiting for this)
- adding DCMTK's latest C-GET support to CTK's Query/Retrieve code.

The latter would include an update to the latest DCMTK. C-GET would
permit retrieving images without starting an extra storage
server, i.e. making it also easier to handle the incoming data
(indexing, continuing with workflow, etc) if the PACS supports C-GET
communication. There are also further things that could be improved in
the Q/R area.

Greetings from Brussels,
Michael

--
OFFIS DICOM Team, Escherweg 2, 26121 Oldenburg, Germany
E-Mail: dicom at offis.de, URL: http://dicom.offis.de