[Ctk-developers] Feedback and questions about DataManagement libraries within CTK

Steve Pieper pieper at ibility.net
Fri Oct 14 13:11:10 EDT 2011

Hi Jc and all -

I'll be curious to hear what others have to say about this too - but I'd say
my first reaction is to wonder if MIDAS 'common' enough (yet) to be part of
CTK?  I know we want to use MIDAS in slicer and ITK, but I wonder if we
could enumerate other potential users who would benefit from having MIDAS
support in CTK to help guide the discussion?

Regarding the idea of an abstracted layer that would support
xnat/midas/ftp/dicom I would say that is harder in practice than I wish it
were.  Love it or Hate it, I have found that DICOM has a lot of unique
aspects that we need to deal with explicitly if we are to present a usable
interface and correctly interpret the image data and other content.  It was
one of the original goals of CTK to improve the ability of our applications
to be more 'correct' in order to better interoperate with the medical
imaging world at large.  Finding the sweet spot between flexibility and ease
of use is hard enough for DICOM alone without adding additional complexity
IMHO :)   If you have an architecture or plan for an abstraction layer it
would be great to discuss.

-Steve