[Ctk-developers] External projects in commontk github organization

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin jchris.fillionr at kitware.com
Tue Jun 7 09:19:28 EDT 2011

Hi Sasha,

You bring a very good point !

The work related to these projects has just been published and is open to
review.
See
https://github.com/zachmullen/CTK/commit/1051813f5046bb08835b73a12138a672c9c48c82

Expat, KWSys, Sqlite and libcurl were initially shipped with MIDAScpp
library ... I advocates to externalize and CMake-ifie properly these
libraries as a first step. That way the code checked in CTK would "really"
corresponds to the library itself.

Having an other perspective is always fruitful :)  You are right, since
MIDAScpp would be part of CTK, it makes sens to not depend on these external
project and rely on Qt directly. Qt is a mandatory dependency after all.

I am cc'ing Zach in the email and I am sure I will be able to provide more
comments.

Zach> Instead of using expat, libcurl, sqlite and kwsys, would it make sens
to depends on Qt ?

In the mean time, I have the following questions:

 - Currently the library is named "CTKMIDAScppCore" and CTKMIDAScppWidgets",
I was thinking we could have something like CTKDataManagementMIDAScppCore
and CTKDataManagementMIDAScppWidgets.
What do you think ? Doing so would leave room to library like
"CTKDataManagementHadoopCore" ...

 - Does introducing a "DataManagement" hierachy of libraries make sens ? As
far as I am concerned, I think it's important to provide both functionality
to process, store and retrieve the data.

Thanks
Jc

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Sascha Zelzer
<s.zelzer at dkfz-heidelberg.de>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Recently, I observed an explosion in the number of repositories containing
> external repositories in the CommonTK organization of github. Could we
> discuss the need of some of them, and maybe have these discussions in the
> future in advance of pushing those projects?
>
> I am looking especially at the projects below, where Qt might already offer
> enough functionality. Of course I could be wrong, so thank you for your
> feedback!
>
> - sqlite (why not use the Qt sqlite wrapper?)
> - KWSys (where is it needed? I did not find any reference to it in CTK)
> - libexpat (Qt also provides a streaming XML API, also not used anywhere)
> - libcurl (there is also no reference to libcurl in CTK)
>

> Thanks,
>
> Sascha

+1 919 869 8849