[Ctk-developers] CTK license and copyright

Stephen Aylward stephen.aylward at kitware.com
Sat Jul 9 11:35:16 EDT 2011

Hi Dominique,

Thanks for asking and checking the files.

All of CTK is suppose to be under the Apache 2.0 license.   If you
find files with any other licence, please let us know.   We will fix
them immediately.

Regarding the holder of the copyright - I believe we decided that
there would be no single copyright holder for CTK.  The files are held
by the individual contributors and/or their institutions.   This is
not how I would prefer things, because it creates an impression of
complex ownership (whereas the Apache license assures the code will
always be free for commercial and non-commercial use, and without
patent restrictions to the best of our knowledge).

The CTK members should probably re-address copyright assignments.   I
suggest we have the assignment go to the Insight Software Consortium
(ISC) or some other independent entity.   Hans Johnson at U of Iowa is
the current president of the ISC, and he could ask the ISC board to
accept CTK as an ISC-sponsored toolkit.   More info on the ISC is at:
http://insightsoftwareconsortium.org/

Stephen