[Ctk-developers] CTK Hackfest in Europe: INRIA's proposal

Benoit Bleuze benoit.bleuze at inria.fr
Wed Apr 27 04:53:46 EDT 2011

Greetings to all!

I don't have access to the other mailing list (the non developer's one), so if anyone who has access to it think it is advisable to diffuse this e-mail also to that other list, please do so.

We already talked about INRIA's will to host a hackfest, and I have the pleasure to announce you that we precised our idea a little.
I met the dkfz people last week in Nice, and already told them about the idea, and it's been received quite positively, and so I am doing the same proposition to a wider audience.

We are organising an imaging workshop (among the VPH community) not so dissimilar to the one that preceded the hack fest back in Barcelona last year in our premises in Sophia Antipolis.
Only this one will be centered around the interoperability of imaging tools. Of course interacting through CTK would be a way to answer that problem.
And that would be a perfect occasion to squeeze a CTK hackfest right after it. Due to the publicity needed for the workshop, it cannot be done before summer, and Summer is a no go for many people,
September and October have been deemed to busy because of the start of the academic year, and so November came out as a reasonable month. We were think of first or second week of November.
Something like : and of first week for our workshop, and the following week for the hackfest, so that people wishing to attend both could do so.
Of course, would some of you like even to attend the workshop, you would be very much welcome.

My questions are the following:
1- Are you all in favour of this happening in principle?
2- Are the dates ok for you all, since initially it was supposed that a hack fest would be organised sooner in the year?
3- Any remark or advice?

I would like to add that last Friday we applied for a grant (a VPH seed exemplar project) for getting one person working on the interoperability of our (UPF, CNRS and INRIA's) imaging tools.
And this proposal mentioned a possible interoperability using CTK as a translation layer (either using plugins, or message bus, or application hosting). The content of the workshop I mentioned already
will depend on the success of the proposal, but the workshop will happen whatever the outcome.
The only thing is that the work would be much more advanced if some engineer worked on interoperability full time in the 3 months prior to the workshop.
If we can put together this workshop, the grant and the hackfest, real good things can happen to CTK.

I am looking forward to seeing your opinion on this,
Best wishes,
Benoit.