[Ctk-developers] Changes to the buildsystem for external plug-in support

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin jchris.fillionr at kitware.com
Wed Nov 24 13:42:05 EST 2010

Seems good to me.
I compiled the branch successfully and build Slicer against it without
problem.

Would be great if we could have very simple project, for example
github.com/commontk/CTKPluginExample, illustrating how a plugin could be
developed.

Thks
Jc

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 4:26 AM, Sascha Zelzer
<s.zelzer at dkfz-heidelberg.de>wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I would like to merge yet another couple of changes to the CTK buildsystem.
> They enable support for writing CTK plug-ins in external projects, which use
> CTK as a toolkit. The changes also improve the buildsystem for CTK itself.
> Here are the details:
>
> Branch: https://github.com/saschazelzer/CTK/commits/buildsystem
> Relevant commit:
> https://github.com/saschazelzer/CTK/commit/9a6381c9074d2a7a77967da50e2a4db237435dee
>
> Overview of changes:
>
>  - Setup include directories inside a function (special support for non-CTK
> plug-ins added)
>  - Use the above function in the ctkMacroBuild* macros
>  - Added a check if plug-in dependencies exist at all (known_targets
> variable in ctkMacroValidateBuildOptions.cmake)
>  - Smalle changes to ctkMacroValidateBuildOptions.cmake to generalize it so
> it is usable outside of CTK
>  - Added a function (ctkFunctionSetupExternalPlugins.cmake) for easy
> configuration of plug-ins in external projects
>  - Use the EXPORT CMake command and include the exports file in
> CTKConfig.cmake
>
> The last item in the list might be the one with the biggest overall
> influence, since it changes the way how CTK libraries are linked from inside
> external projects (i.e. Slicer).
>
> Thanks for your feedback,
>
> Sascha

Phone: 1-518-836-2174