[Ctk-developers] mingw compiles dcmtk.git

OFFIS DICOM Team dicom at offis.de
Mon Nov 1 04:17:19 EDT 2010

Dean,

> However, the latest dcmtk I am using from offis's git repository no
> longer uses "Patients" but uses "Patient" in the defined dcm tags in
> dcdeftag.h .

yes, we changed the attributes names some time ago in order to be consistent
with the recently introduced, official "keywords" from the DICOM data
dictionary (part 6 of the standard). This is a one time change only.

The changes are documented in our Wiki:

   http://support.dcmtk.org/wiki/dcmtk/notes/datadictionary2009

Also see the corresponding CHANGES entry:

=== CUT ===

   **** Changes from 2010.08.09 (riesmeier)

   - Updated data dictionary to 2009 edition of the DICOM standard. From
     now on, the official "keyword" is used for the attribute name which
     results in a number of minor changes (e.g. "PatientsName" is now called
     "PatientName").
     NB: Both users and developers should be aware of these changes and
     modify there scripts and/or source code accordingly.

=== CUT ===

> which is due to dcmtk.git redefining the signature of closeAssociation:

Right, since the SCU and SCP classes are still pretty new (they are in fact
marked as "experimental) and also part of a development snapshot (i.e. work
in progress), we've changed some interface methods without providing 100%
backward compatibility to previous snapshot versions.

> So it appears that there are too many differences between dcmtk.git and
> that used in ctk to make a go of getting DICOM working in CTK with
> MinGW. Can the dcmtk repository currently associated with CTK be adapted
> for MinGW until Offis dcmtk.git is aligned with ctk.git?

You and all the other CTK developers might be interested in the fact that we
are currently working towards a new DCMTK release (version 3.6.0), which
will hopefully be available around the end of this year:

   http://support.dcmtk.org/wiki/dcmtk/notes/releaseplan360

Regards,
Jörg Riesmeier
--
OFFIS DICOM Team, Escherweg 2, 26121 Oldenburg, Germany
E-Mail: dicom at offis.de, URL: http://dicom.offis.de