[Ctk-developers] COPYRIGHT & LICENSING

Tarbox, Lawrence tarboxl at mir.wustl.edu
Tue Apr 13 11:16:43 EDT 2010

I concur with Stephen.

The pure BSD license does not address certain key issues, such as patents, trademarks, and contributions, that potentially could be very problematic in an open source project with multiple contributors from multiple organizations.  The Apache license closes those holes, while still being essentially a BSD license at its core.  (Compare the text of clauses 3, 8, and 9 with the BSD license - they are nearly identical to the BSD license.)

As far as I know, there is little problem including BSD code in a project licensed under Apache, as long as there are no problems with patent or trademark infringements in the BSD code.

My recollection of the previous discussions was more that we did not want CTK to use a 'copyleft' license, such as GPL, and that we preferred a more commercial friendly license with terms similar to BSD.  The discussion brought out that most of the code that we already use has been released under licenses with terms similar to BSD, though not everyone was using a pure BSD license.  I believe Apache has terms similar to and compatible with BSD, and would be a better match to our needs than simple BSD.