[Ctk-developers] Qt licenses model

Marco Viceconti viceconti at tecno.ior.it
Thu Nov 12 04:43:56 EST 2009

I would like to open another discussion thread, parallel to the one we
started on Qt core.  Currently Qt is available under two possible open
source licenses: Qt GNU LGPL v. 2.1 and Qt GNU GPL v. 3.0.
http://qt.nokia.com/products/licensing

If I understand correctly the code is the same, the access rules are
the same, so I am not sure why one would choose GPL which is more
restrictive than LGPL.  Can someone clarify this to me?

Secondly, having agreed that CTK will be BSD-like, can anyone confirm
me that by using a LGPL library to develop CTK we shall not break the
BSD-like license we plan to adopt?

Thanks

Marco

MARCO VICECONTI, PhD
(viceconti at tecno.ior.it)
Laboratorio di Tecnologia Medica              tel.   39-051-6366865
Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli                            fax.
39-051-6366863
via di Barbiano 1/10, 40136 - Bologna, Italy

Tiger! Tiger! Burning bright in the forest of the night,
what immortal hand or eye could frame thy fearful symmetry?