[Ctk-developers] XDOM - decorator pattern

Marco Viceconti viceconti at tecno.ior.it
Wed Nov 11 07:56:41 EST 2009

Sorry I missed this point.

Ok, I trust the group on this decision.  By the way this also clear a
similar decision we are now taking inside MAF3 on whether to use
QtObject.

I presume that no one disagree with the second statement in my email:
"Even if we agree [to use Qt core], would not be better to ensure that
CTK is not ridden of Qt
code, and find solutions such as the wrapping of the QtObject class
into a CTK Class?

thanks Stephen.

Marco

Il giorno 9 Nov 2009, alle ore 14:25, Stephen Aylward ha scritto:

> 1) QtCore will supply system-level functions.   "If a function we need
> exists in Qt, then we should use it"
>
> 2) QtGUI is optional
>
> It was more clearly stated in out meeting notes:
>  http://www.na-mic.org/Wiki/index.php/Events:CTK-Workshop-June-2009
> See the section called "Technical Aspects."

> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 2:02 AM, Marco Viceconti <viceconti at tecno.ior.it
> > wrote:
>> Worth to be said because when we agreed to use Qt, I am sure most
>> of us were
>> thinking of the GUI, and not of a class from which every other
>> class in the
>> framework would inherit.
>>
>> So before we carry on, at the cost of being pedantic, let me pose
>> this
>> question to the whole CTK group:
>>
>> Qt provide a portable GUI framework, that we agreed to adopt in CTK.
>>
>> But it also provides some interesting low-level mechanisms, in
>> particular a
>> extensive multi-threading library and inter-object communication
>> mechanism.
>>  Do we all agree that also this part of Qt can be used to build CTK?
>>
>> Even if we agree, would not be better to ensure that CTK is not
>> ridden of Qt
>> code, and find solutions such as the wrapping of the QtObject class
>> into a
>> CTK Class?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Marco

>>> Dear Marco,
>>>
>>> at the first CTK meeting in Heidelberg we agreed on using Qt in
>>> CTK, since
>>> everyone is already using it. This does not necessarily include
>>> the Qt GUI
>>> classes, but the Qt Core module which offers the message-passing
>>> mechanisms.
>>> Of course such a strong dependency should always be discussed, but
>>> I'm not
>>> afraid of any licensing changes anymore.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Marco (the other one)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dipl.-Inform. Med. Marco Nolden
>>> Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum       (German Cancer Research
>>> Center)
>>> Div. Medical & Biological Informatics          Tel: (+49) 6221-42