[Ctk-developers] more on CTK Scene

Stephen Aylward stephen.aylward at kitware.com
Sat Aug 29 23:23:28 EDT 2009

Hi Marco,

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble following your email because I am
not certain of the definition of a few of the terms you are using
(i.e., what is an actor and how is it different than an object?
Also, what is an interactor?   Do you mean VTKActors and
VTKInteractors?), and I think you are suggesting that graphics
primitives should be contained within our scene / objects and that
breaks our model-view-controller design pattern.

My preference is to follow the scene design in ITK.   The ITK
SpatialObjects scene are quite different that those used by scengraphs
in visualization libraries.   We can use those ITK scenes for
algorithms to perform registration, store results of segmentations,
manage longitudinal and multiscale data, etc etc,   There is no reason
to incorporate a visualization library into our data containers, i.e.,
our scenes.  It would unnecessarily burden the algorithm developers,
require inclusion of a visualization library when all that we want to
do is process data, and, as I mentioned, break our
model-view-controller design pattern.

Thanks,
Stephen

--