[Ctk-developers] CTK Scene

Stephen Aylward stephen.aylward at kitware.com
Thu Aug 20 22:21:54 EDT 2009

Hi Gianluca,

That sounds like extremely useful work.

I think the medical image analysis field could greatly benefit from
standardizing scene representations as well as standardizing the
recording of data providence (what is the data source, and what
processing has been applied).   These should be base technologies (ITK
/ CTK level) and, like you said, platform independent.

I like the idea of starting from a file format / database structure
for the scene.   Having extensions to define visualization properties
is also an interesting idea.   My only concern is to keep a scene from
become application or visualization specific.   There should be no
storage of gl contexts, gl triangle strips, vtkActors, or properties
specific to those platforms within the scene.

Is there going to be a group / committee that will manage the
extensions to that format?   A reference implementation in C++?

Thanks,
Stephen