[ITK] [ITK-dev] 2D/3D registration in v4

David Burns david.mo.burns at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 20:38:57 EST 2015

Dear Insight,

I am having the following trouble attempting 2D/3D registration of
xray/CT with ITK v4 registration framework.

The basics: The moving image is a 3D volume, and the fixed image is a 2D
projection. An interpolator calculates a synthetic cone-beam projection
for the moving image (volume) and compares to the fixed 2D image.

The v4 registration framework doesn't allow me to use a 2D fixed and 3D
moving image -> won't compile. So I need to setup the fixed image as 3D,
even though it is 2D data. I can compile, but I get the following error
at run time

ExceptionObject caught !

itk::ExceptionObject (0x20cfac0)
Location: "void itk::RecursiveSeparableImageFilter<TInputImage,
TOutputImage>::BeforeThreadedGenerateData() [with TInputImage =
itk::Image<float, 3u>; TOutputImage = itk::Image<float, 3u>]"
File: /usr/local/include/ITK-4.8/itkRecursiveSeparableImageFilter.hxx
Line: 245
number of pixels along direction 2 is less than 4. This filter requires
a minimum of four pixels along the dimension to be processed.

It seems this behavior does not occur in the v3 registration framework
and 2D/3D registrations were possible, however, I want to take advantage
of the threading features in v4. How would you suggest I proceed?

Thanks
David Burns