[ITK Community] [Insight-users] I meet some problem when using FastMarchingImageFilter , please help me !

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Dec 17 08:58:29 EST 2013

Hi zhq,

This is explained in the ITK Software Guide
http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

in page 538.

The Value set in this function is a value in time.

More precisely, it is the time at which the front will start propagating
from
that node point.

The context is that the output of the FastMarching filter is a time
crossing map.

A map that tells you at what time, the front, reached every pixel.

The value that you set in node.SetValue() is the time at which you want to
start
the front propagation from that pixel.

A typical use of this value is to be able to segment an image of a "Snowman"
where the bottom of the snowman is a large sphere, the thorax is a medium
sphere and the head is a small sphere.

You generate this shape by placing FastMarching nodes at the center of each
one of those spheres and then setting the time for the bottom to be earlier
than
the time for the thorax, and leaving the time of the head for later.

In this way, the front at the bottom will have more time to propagate and
fill up a larger region.

A bit of experimentation with at least two nodes, and different starting
times
on each node will give you some familiarity with the effect of this
parameter.

   Hope this helps.

       Luis