[ITK Community] ITK build: ITK build directory path length is too long (56 > 50) - Seriously? - what I would not give to trim 6 chars from my path.

Brian Davis bitminer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 10:34:39 EST 2013

After trying to build latest version of ITK I ran into this build issue

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:28 (message):
  ITK build directory path length is too long (56 > 50).Please set the ITK
  build directory to a directory with a shorter path.

Where I have specified:

Source code:
C:\projects\dsa4d\ctutil_3rdParty\source\itk-4.4.2
Build the binaries
C:/projects/dsa4d/ctutil_3rdParty/source/itk-4.4.2/build

Which I do not think is unreasonable for a path when I want a projects dir,
project name dir, and branch name dir.  But whoa was I ever wrong.

After reading the filed bug:

http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=14262

which was posted in 2013... pretty recent considering that I have build ITK
in paths much worse that above and it worked just fine.

I am left in dumbfounded amazement that this bug was closed with reason:

>> ======
The error message comes from CMakeLists.txt code in ITK, not from CMake.

Furthermore, the limit comes from path lengths used within ITK's source and
build trees that exceed the Windows maximum path length limit (VS hits
these internally during the build). You simply can't build ITK in a longer
path.

Either way, this is not a CMake issue so I'm resolving it as "no change
required".
>> ======

Well we simply built it prior 2013 in longer paths so it simply can be
built!  What changed?

Wow that's great!  Should I change my path to C:\  ???  .... I am going to
get on that right now.