[ITK Community] [Insight-developers] 4GB images on windows

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Fri Dec 13 14:16:06 EST 2013

Hello,

I have just noticed that in SimpleITK on windows 64-bits that images are limited to 2GB (maybe 4GB for some opts) because the "long" type is still used for size by default.

ITK has the CMake variable ITK_USE_64BITSIDS to change this.

https://github.com/Kitware/ITK/blob/master/CMakeLists.txt#L248
https://github.com/Kitware/ITK/blob/master/Modules/Core/Common/include/itkIntTypes.h#L122

I also noticed that Slicer3D does not have this parameter set so it's ITK image size is limited.

Are we going to make this enabled by default in ITK at some point?

Has anyone tried enabling this is Slicer?

I am going to start with SimpleITK, and wondering what to expect.

Thanks,
Brad