[ITK Community] [Insight-developers] [Insight-users] Image Intensities Changed During DICOM Read-Write-Read in ITK 3.20 vs. ITK 4.4.1

Johnson, Hans J hans-johnson at uiowa.edu
Fri Dec 6 13:37:04 EST 2013

FABULOUS!!  That is an exciting development, and long overdue.

Hans

From: Brian Helba <brian.helba at kitware.com<mailto:brian.helba at kitware.com>>
Date: Friday, December 6, 2013 12:29 PM
To: Hans Johnson <hans-johnson at uiowa.edu<mailto:hans-johnson at uiowa.edu>>, ITK <insight-developers at itk.org<mailto:insight-developers at itk.org>>
Cc: Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com<mailto:bill.lorensen at gmail.com>>, ITK Users <insight-users at public.kitware.com<mailto:insight-users at public.kitware.com>>, Constantine Zakkaroff <mnkz at leeds.ac.uk<mailto:mnkz at leeds.ac.uk>>
Subject: Re: [Insight-users] [ITK Community] Image Intensities Changed During DICOM Read-Write-Read in ITK 3.20 vs. ITK 4.4.1

As for upgrading GDCM, I'm currently in the process of updating both OpenJPEG and GDCM, and in the process, I'm transitioning those libraries to the new Git workflow for ThirdParty modules, where we can clearly identify how ITK's versions has forked from upstream (and indeed it has forked by a significant number of commits). As part of this process, both libraries will also be upgraded.

However, upgrading GDCM will not solve the physical coordinate issues that users having been reporting with physical coordinates. I'm preparing a bug report with more detail, but as a quick preview: GDCM 2.x is now much strict about conforming to the DICOM standard, and is not writing out tags for physical coordinate properties for images of unknown (a.k.a. Seconary Capture) imaging modalities. I think the solution is for ITK to go back to the behavior that is technically less conformant with the standard but more conformant to expectations, as it was in GDCM 1.x and ITK 3, where physical coordinate tags are always respected, regardless of modality. This requires changes to GDCM itself, and since we don't want GDCMImageIO's behavior to differ depending on whether a system-installed copy of GDCM is being used, we need to coordinate with upstream. I'm in the process of this right now, and I'll have some news shortly.