[CMake] Relaying all command line arguments from SuperBuild to ExternalProject_Add

Saad Khattak saadrustam at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 12:36:24 EST 2018

I have the following setup:
Superbuild
   - ExternalProject_Add(a...)
   - ExternalProject_Add(b...)
   - ExternalProject_Add(c...)
   - ExternalProject_Add(d...)

The SuperBuild is built from command line with some options e.g.
-DMY_OPTION=TRUE. I would like all these options to be passed to each of
the ExternalProject_Add CMAKE_ARGS.

I tried to capture the arguments using the solution posted here:
https://stackoverflow.com/a/10218582/368599

The arguments are captured properly (i.e. I printed them out to make sure
they are correct) but relaying them to ExternalProject_Add appears to be
problematic. I tried the following ways to forward the arguments (as
outlined in the stackoverflow solution):

ExternalProject_Add(...
  CMAKE_ARGS ${CMAKE_ARGS}
  )

ExternalProject_Add(...
  CMAKE_ARGS "${CMAKE_ARGS}" # quotes
  )

ExternalProject_Add(...
  CMAKE_ARGS "${MY_CMAKE_ARGS}" # changed the variable name in case it
conflicts
  )

None of that seems to work. CMake appears to ignore the commands forwarded.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks,
Saad