[CMake] Referencing nuget packages in csharp csproj files

Jacob Barrett jbarrett at pivotal.io
Fri Feb 2 16:59:17 EST 2018

Joern,

We too have been trying to find better integration between CMake and NuGet.
What we have done is taken advantage of the packages.config file and the
nuget.exe command line too. We have a custom target that executes `nuget
restore` against the generated solution file. This by default places all
the nuget packages in a packages directory under the build directory. It
also updates all the references in the generate csproj files to the point
to the packages directory. It works pretty good and does a great job of
download dependencies when taking the sources to a new machine.

It would be nice though to have a way to specify the dependencies in the
CMake file and have it fetch and explode them like nuget does and generate
the correct csproj upfront.

Here is some snippets from our CMakeLists.txt:

find_program(NUGET nuget)
add_custom_target(nuget-restore
  COMMAND ${NUGET} restore ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/${PROJECT_NAME}.sln
)

configure_file(${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/packages.config
${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/packages.config COPYONLY)

set_target_properties( ${PROJECT_NAME} PROPERTIES
  VS_GLOBAL_ROOTNAMESPACE ${PROJECT_NAME}
  VS_GLOBAL_ProjectGuid "{f84e584d-a422-3021-a20c-cec777413cae}"
  VS_DOTNET_TARGET_FRAMEWORK_VERSION "v4.5.2"
  VS_DOTNET_REFERENCES
"System;System.Xml;System.Web;System.Configuration;System.Xml.Linq"
)

add_dependencies(${PROJECT_NAME} nuget-restore)

-Jake