[CMake] External Projects: just what are they?

Michael Powell mwpowellhtx at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 10:06:38 EDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 11:17 PM, Michael Powell <mwpowellhtx at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to understand external projects. What are they? What kind
> of support is there for them?

Based on a couple of the blogs I read about it, I'm not sure this is
trying to do too much, but I could be wrong.

In my scenario, I simply have a Git Submodule committed to my
repository that I want to update, then include/invoke/etc its
CMakeLists as an "external project".

So at best, maybe I could invoke ExternalProject_Add with
GIT_SUBMODULES "${MYPROJ_SOURCE_DIR}/repos/mysubmod".

Or am I missing something?

Thoughts? Suggestions?