[CMake] VC2015 and Windows 7 compatibility

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Thu Sep 21 01:55:13 EDT 2017

>>> What I forgot to say is that you of course need the Universal CRT DLLs
>>> available somewhere on your build system where the CMake code behind
>>> CMAKE_INSTALL_UCRT_LIBRARIES will find them.
>
> Thanks, Elvis.  That helps.  I was able to get a Win64 build running on my
> Win7 (sans SP1) box once all the api-ms-win-core* packages were disted.
> The Win32 build of my program cannot start with an api-ms-win-core-crt-*.dll
> error.

Alright, glad you've made some progress. I only do x64 builds, so I
haven't tried to get it working on x86.

> However since then I read that those api DLLs are not part of the Microsoft
> Runtime and as such cannot legally be disted and they shouldn't in any case
> for technical reasons (Microsoft might want to change them from version to
> version).

Hm, it would surprise me if Microsoft made app-local deployment of the
Universal CRT illegal. I know Microsoft discourages app-local
deployment, preferring other means of doing it that allows for the
DLLs to be updated centrally, but making it muddy legally would be
another level of stupid.

See the initial blog post about the Universal CRT here:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2015/03/03/introducing-the-universal-crt/
, and especially the "Updated September 11, 2015" section in red. So I
think it is supported, just discouraged.

Elvis