[CMake] CMake tutorial on Github

Nagy-Egri Máté Ferenc csiga.biga at aol.com
Wed Sep 20 10:36:32 EDT 2017

Hi fellow CMakers!

As part of a university course and an attempt to safeguard my time against all the one-to-one CMake tutorials I have held thus far, I have created a free CMake tutorial available here. It is fairly basic, in its current form is more or less just a jump-start guide. I wanted to maintain a consistent and modern style of scripting keeping up to date with the latest features.

If you like it and have collegues that need the first push, feel free to point them in this direction. If you feel like contributing, or simply have ideas which directions to take next, I am open to both suggestions and PRs. I am aware that raw Github is not the best platform for such a writing, but it was immensely simple to fire up, I need not worry about hosting, and collaborating on the material is a breeze.

Do keep in mind it is an unofficial tutorial and reflects MY understanding of CMake, not those of its day to day developers. (I have looked at the codebase on one occasion when I wanted to implement a feature, but it would’ve required a complete overhaul of the makefile generators which I did not have the capacity to do. If I’ll have the time, I’ll continue working on it, some lessons are referred to that are currently non-existent. I do intend on writing them sometime.

Cheers,
Máté