[CMake] VC2015 and Windows 7 compatibility

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Wed Sep 20 03:44:12 EDT 2017

>> El 19/09/2017 a las 15:19, J Decker escribió:
>>>
>>> you can just install the runtime redistributuable for 2015...
>>>
>>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48234
>>
>> Unfortunately, that does not have the required ms-api-win-core* DLLs.  It is
>> something that changed with v8.0 of windows.  Elvis solution seems like it
>> should work.  I am awaiting an answer from my beta testers.
>
> What I forgot to say is that you of course need the Universal CRT DLLs
> available somewhere on your build system where the CMake code behind
> CMAKE_INSTALL_UCRT_LIBRARIES will find them.
>
> I can't remember exactly what I did, but I do remember a fiddled
> around a bit to get them installed without having to install a full
> SDK, because the SDK that they were part of interfered with my build
> somehow. I _think_ that I took some download from Microsoft that
> contained multiple installers, and extracted that to get just the
> installer for the Universal CRT DLLs. Because I couldn't find just the
> Universal CRT installer as a separate download at Microsoft.
>
> I'll try to dig out/remember what I did exactly when I'm back at work
> with access to the Windows build box.

I now remember what I did: I downloaded the Windows 10 SDK installer
(winsdksetup.exe) from:

    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk

But instead of going ahead and installing the full SDK, which broke
something for me [1], I picked the installation option:

    (o) Download the Windows Software Development Kit .... for
installation on a separate computer

This will simply download all the separate installers that constitute
the SDK and put them in the specified download path.

Among them is:

    <DownloadPath>/Installers/Universal CRT Redistributable-x86_en-us.msi

And it is this specific installer I ran to get just the Universal CRT
DLLs installed, without having to install the full Windows 10 SDK.

I haven't been able to find this installer as a direct download from
Microsoft, only as part of the Windows 10 SDK.

Hope that helps. I'm attaching a screenshot showing all the stuff I
have installed on my Win 8.1 builder. Note that I'm using Microsoft
Visual C++ Build Tools (2015), to avoid having to install the full
IDE.

Elvis

[1] I can't remember what broke right now, but I'm using the Win 8.1
SDK, so probably something interfered.