[CMake] Visual Studio 2017

Randy Heiland randy.heiland at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 07:38:07 EDT 2017

Hello,

I've googled "site:cmake.org/pipermail/cmake visual studio 2017" looking
for answers, but still confused, so thought I'd ask this list.
Is there a "best way" to use cmake for VS17 (but same cakelists for Linux)?
And by "best", I mean with minimal effort on users. To be more specific, on
Windows, I *think* I'd like to have users install the cmake binary, then
use Powershell to build an application. But my initial attempt to do so is
confusing. I install VS17 (for C++), it installs in standard path, but 'cl'
is not found in Powershell. I read that I shouldn't edit my PATH (nor do I
really want users to have to), but run some .bat instead to setup my env.
So, how should one specify the compiler for cmake? Oh yes, then I see that
VS17 also has its own cmake??

I'd welcome suggestions.  Thanks!