[CMake] Clang for Windows with CMake and Ninja (and Visual Studio)

Nagy-Egri Máté Ferenc csiga.biga at aol.com
Tue Sep 12 10:37:36 EDT 2017

The link error is some error on my setup. The /nologo et al part still stands though. Can CMake invoke the Windows binary of Clang correctly?

Feladó: Nagy-Egri Máté Ferenc via CMake
Elküldve: 2017. szeptember 12., kedd 15:01
Címzett: Cmake Mailing List
Tárgy: [CMake] Clang for Windows with CMake and Ninja (and Visual Studio)

Hi!

I am trying to build using the Open Folder feature of VS (with CMake server mode integration) with the Windows binary release of Clang. However, when I try to build using clang++.exe, it argues about unknown compiler switches

clang++.exe: error: no such file or directory: '/nologo'

while if I use the clang-cl.exe front-end of Clang, it fails saying

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'gdi32.lib'

Does this both inside VS and in a developer command prompt. My invocation is as follows:

cmake -G Ninja -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=C:/Kellekek/LLVM/Clang/5.0/bin/clang++.exe C:\Users\Matty\Source\simplecpp\

My questions:

1. Why does CMake give MSVC params to Clang on Windows?
2. Is there a way to let the clang-cl front-end know how to link to system libraries?

Cheers,
Máté