[CMake] Making existing, compiled projects CMake aware

Raymond Wan rwan.work at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 10:42:20 EST 2017

Hi Johannes,

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 8:50 PM, Johannes Zarl-Zierl
<johannes.zarl-zierl at jku.at> wrote:
> Before starting, it might be a good idea to update your knowledge about modern
> C++. A good starting point is the "Modern CMake" talk by Daniel Pfeiffer,
> especially the part about how to add and link to libraries:
> https://youtu.be/bsXLMQ6WgIk?t=818

I'm sorry to jump into this discussion but I was looking through this
video and it was very helpful!  Thank you for posting it; I was not
aware of it!

Unfortunately, I know CMake but I haven't actively used it for many
years and this video showed me that I'm very out of date.  I think
Daniel used the phrase about doing things that are "so version 2.8"...
That more or less describes me.  ;-(

Do you or anyone else on this list have suggestions on moving someone
like me to the latest CMake?  For example, a tutorial, for example.  I
noticed this:  https://cmake.org/cmake-tutorial/ and I wonder if this
tutorial uses recent CMake practices...  The "cmake_minimum_required
(VERSION 2.6)" at the top makes me wonder whether or not it is
up-to-date.

If not, can anyone suggest one?

I guess CMake 2.8 practices could still work but since it's been a
while for me, maybe I should start with recent practices and put what
I used to do behind me.  Any suggestions would be appreciated...thank
you!

Ray