[CMake] Using CMake for general scripting tasks?

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes.zarl-zierl at jku.at
Tue Nov 14 05:31:37 EST 2017

Hello,

On Dienstag, 14. November 2017 01:39:47 CET Sebastian Gniazdowski wrote:
> But maybe someone used CMake for less specialized scripting tasks and would
> share? I'm writing Zsh plugin manager, Zplugin, and I want to integrate
> with CMake somehow, to get some swiss army knife features.

Why do you want to integrate with CMake?

I mean, the scripting features of CMake are a great way to create platform-
independent scripts for a build system, but you already know that your users
have a proper shell installed.
CMake will probably never be comparable in its scripting features to a shell
like Zsh. So, unless you really have a reason to use CMake, you should stick
with the better tool for your task (that is already guaranteed to be
installed).

Cheers,
  Johannes