[CMake] Toggle Absolute paths in Eclipse Generator

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 08:18:40 EDT 2017

Hi Michele,

If you look into CMake ML history you'll find many discussions concerning
the ABSOLUTE vs RELATIVE path for generated build systems.

CMake had once an option for trying that, the support has been removed:
https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.7/variable/CMAKE_USE_RELATIVE_PATHS.html

So basically you cannot ask generate relative paths.

See:
https://cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ#Why_does_CMake_use_full_paths.2C_or_can_I_copy_my_build_tree.3F

michele.portolan at grenoble-inp.fr>:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to use the Eclipse Generator to create a project to be
> exported to Eclipse. Everything works fine, but when I look at the
> generated .cproject and .project I see that all paths are absolute, like
> for instance:
>
> <buildArguments>-E chdir "/home/portolan/my_project/Opt
> ional_Libs/eclipse_build/Server" "/usr/bin/cmake" -P
> "CMakeFiles/ATE_Loopback_Server.dir/cmake_clean.cmake"</buildArguments>
>

> This is not really good because I would like to copy my project to another
> machine where I do not have /home/portolan/.
>
> So I have two questions: Can I ask cmake to
>
>  - generate relative paths instead of absolute?
>
>  - copy the sources locally to the Eclipse project, rather than use the
> external ones?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Michele
>
> --