[CMake] Handling generated headers

Bruce Stephens bruce.r.stephens at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 17:57:36 EDT 2017

Yes, that's the idea: I have custom commands (created with
add_custom_command) listing the headers in OUTPUT.

And there are source files which #include such headers.

I'd like it so that compiling such a source file would cause the
header to be generated.

Concretely, with a CMakeLists.txt like the attached, with the obvious
main.c (also attached), I'd like "ninja exe" to work.

I find that it does not.

After "ninja build-incl" (or "ninja incl.h") then "ninja exe" will
work. And then after removing incl.h,
"ninja exe" will recreate incl.h and then rebuild exe. (Presumably
ninja is caching some dependency information, likely
in its .ninja_deps file.) But correct recompilation (while obviously
desirable) doesn't seem sufficient; I want the first
build to work too.

(I'm also not sure why the add_custom_target is required, but it does
seem to be. Presumably without it CMake
can't see why the custom command might be used.)

In most cases I have a natural place where I need the things to be
built, so the custom target can have ALL DEPENDS
(rather than.the DEPENDS in the example). However, in some cases in
parallel builds I still end up with (sometimes)
source files not compiling because the needed headers haven't been generated.

As I say, so far this is OK: I can just generated dependencies
explicitly in a pre-CMake step. But handling cases where
main.c includes some source header which includes this generated
incl.h seems not easily doable.

If I'm not missing something silly and all this is expected behaviour
(as it appears to be) it's not a disaster. We can add
a few explicit dependencies and get things to work. But maybe I'm
missing something and this should work more
smoothly.