[CMake] CMake CUDA 3.8+/9 support as a first class language with out Visual Studio Support... err what?

Brian J. Davis bitminer at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 19:00:53 EDT 2017

@Robert

I created a fresh simple cmake project in 3.9.  This appeared to find
CUDA 8.0 successfully so it may have something do with my other project
settings that I am trying to get to work with 3.9, VS13, CUDA 7.5/8.0.

Using:

message( CUDACXX = ${CUDACXX})
message( CMAKE_CUDA_COMPILER = ${CMAKE_CUDA_COMPILER})

Reports

CUDACXX=
CMAKE_CUDA_COMPILER=C:/Program Files/NVIDIA GPU Computing
Toolkit/CUDA/v8.0/bin/nvcc.exe
Configuring done
Generating done

The question was at setting the CUDA version say 7.5 or 8.0.

I search doc for CUDACXX and CMAKE_CUDA_COMPILER with no hits.  Is this
stuff documented anywhere.

Do I really need to say set:

CMAKE_CUDA_COMPILER=C:/Program Files/NVIDIA GPU Computing
Toolkit/CUDA/v7.5/bin/nvcc.exe

To get CMake to compile for 7.5?  I mean:

find_package(CUDA 7.5)

you could agree is/was much simpler.  I am becoming frustrated and
confused by these changes.

I can't even get a simple CUDA app to run using FindCUDA (will compile)
or compile using v3.9 and new project( CXX CUDA).

Your example at:

https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/manual/cmake-compile-features.7.html

Used:

add_executable(CudaConsumeCompileFeatures main.cu)

Is is required now that main.cpp be a .cu file now?  I wouldn't think
so, but I am so lost in the woods on this that I am not sure of anything
anymore.

How do I get all the toolkit and sdk include and lib dir variables now
as FindCUDA provided?

I am so curfuffled by these changes.

Can I get the CMake doc in one (1) html page again... those were the
good old days when scanning back and forth I would stumble on some good
bits ... not that I can seemly find the doc for the new CUDA changes.
This reminds me of the days when I could only get doc on things like
ExternalProject_Add at the command prompt.