[CMake] CMake CUDA 3.8+/9 support as a first class language with out Visual Studio Support... err what?

Robert Maynard robert.maynard at kitware.com
Fri Jul 28 12:05:11 EDT 2017

Just to clarify the CUDA and CMake situation.

CMake 3.8 added the initial first class support of CUDA to CMake (
instead of using FindCUDA ). This work only supports the makefile and
ninja generators, which means that the visual studio IDE generator is
not supported. This doesn't mean that the Visual Studio compiler isn't
supported, as you still could use ninja or makefile with the VS
compiler.

CMake 3.9 added the support for the visual studio generator for CUDA.
The approach that was used was to call out to the existing MSBuild
CUDA extensions that NVIDIA provides. With 3.9 all generators are
considered to be 'first class' in regards to CUDA.