[CMake] CPack: Create debian packge for each sub-project

Domen Vrankar domen.vrankar at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 13:12:42 EDT 2017

> Also, curious why CPACK_*COMPONENT*_<COMPONENT>_DESCRIPTION is different
> from the other CPACK_*DEBIAN*_<COMPONENT>_PACKAGE_XXX?

Most variables are debian package specific/allow to override general CPack
variables specifically for debian packages. For e.g. package description is
set to:
  if CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION # debian specific override
  else if CPACK_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION_SUMMARY # general package description

There is no particular reason why per component version can't be overridden
by a debian packager specific variable - you would usually want to have a
single description for the same component no matter the package format
(deb, rpm, ...).

With your help, I have individual packaging working now, except for unique
> version. I also realize that I would like to be able to set the contributor
> for some packages to be unique.

Per component variable for these variables was not introduced since

> I would like to contribute to CMake. I see the page
> https://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=blob_plain;f=
> CONTRIBUTING.rst;hb=master.
> It mentions submitting contributions in patch form. Are pull requests also
> accepted?

As described in the link that you've provided create a gitlab account here:
https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake
and create a merge request (gitlab equivalent to pull request on github).

> I forgot, I also have a question about "make package". How do I build and
> package just an individual sub-project. As expected, "make <sub-project>"
> works to build, but there isn't a default target to package an individual
> sub-project.

You can set CPACK_COMPONENTS_ALL variable to contain only the components
that you wish to package:

set(CPACK_COMPONENTS_ALL applications libraries headers)

By default it's set by CPack to contain all components.

Regards,
Domen