[CMake] /path/to/libpng.so automatic conversion to -lpng ?

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 15:14:31 EDT 2017

Rolf Eike Beer wrote:

>> It seems that clang handles that variable in a somewhat different manner
>> than GCC does. Even in a very simple call on the commandline (including the
>> -v option) I see it adds -L/opt/local/lib AFTER the user-supplied
>> libraries, where GCC puts it before the 1st -l option.
>
> Welcome to the work of link_directories(). This is exactly the reason to avoid
> it: it always causes trouble.

digikam (that's the project we're talking about) doesn't use neither that nor
target_link_directories. And if CMake simply used the libraries as found and
specified in the target_link_libraries() call I wouldn't have run into problems
either.

I did raise a flag on the clang ML though. But whether it's a clang bug or
feature the fact remains that ideally one should be able to tell cmake exactly
what to do, without it trying to outguess the operator.

R.