[CMake] CMake 3.7.2 and parallel builds

Dave Flogeras dflogeras2 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 08:26:33 EST 2017

On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 9:53 AM, Nils Gladitz <nilsgladitz at gmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW I don't think -j does anything when you build the NightlyBuild target
> given that that make invocation is not the one directly performing the
> actual build.
> The only command being run by the NightlyBuild target would be "ctest -D
> NightlyBuild" (nothing to parallelize when there is only one command).
> CTest would spawn another make process for the build.
>
> Nils

Good point, I checked with the older version of make (4.1) and even though
it doesn't issue the warning, it is not building my project in parallel.

I guess that brings up the obvious question:  how does one use this target
and take advantage of multiple processors?  Basically, I'm calling it
within a python loop that permutes various projects and configurations
(release/debug/shared/static...) then puts the results on a self-hosted
CDash server with make NightlySubmit.

I thought it used to parallelize the builds, but the script is a few years
old and I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Dave