[CMake] CMake 3.7.2 and parallel builds

Dave Flogeras dflogeras2 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 07:29:07 EST 2017

Hey Paul

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Paul Smith <paul at mad-scientist.net> wrote:

> My suspicion is that somehow the recursion is invoking an older version
> of make.  In GNU make 4.2 the jobserver interface was stabilized and
> published, so that other build tools could take advantage of it (if
> desired); for example if your linker is multithreaded it could
> participate in the jobserver feature, obtaining jobserver tokens for its
> threads so it didn't overwhelm the system during linking.
>
> I scoured this system, and others that run make 4.2.1, and that is the
only version of make in my PATH.

You can try adding "VERBOSE=1" to your make invocation and look at the
> way sub-makes are invoked and see if there's anything odd-looking about
> it.
>
> If that's not it, I'm not sure what the problem is but perhaps the
> VERBOSE=1 will help diagnose it anyway.

I tried with "make -j5 VERBOSE=1 NightlyBuild" but didn't see anything
indicative on the console, or in the cmake output files that shed any light
for me.

What's weirder (and I forgot to mention) is that if I just build the
project normally outside of my regression testing script (ie. "make -j5"),
I don't get the jobserver warning.