[CMake] ExternalProject_Add and include_external_msproject dynamic duo... but what if their powers combined?

Brian J. Davis bitminer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 02:13:18 EST 2017

Every time I create a superbuild using ExternalProject_Add sooner or
later a project will not support cmake, but will have buried within its
bowels  a visual studio solution project .sln and sometimes gobs of
.vcxproj files (read CPython).  Now ofcourse include_external_msproject
can do this.  If only these two wonder twins
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Twins) could work together in the
same ExternalProject_Add command.  Maybe by adding after HG_TAG say
VCX_PROJS or some such.

Only thing better would be getting original project maintainer to
support CMake.

So feature request: Can we get ExternalProject_Add to support visual
studio project files?