[CMake] Tracing ctest crash on windows

Stuermer, Michael SP/HZA-ZSEP michael.stuermer at schaeffler.com
Mon Jan 9 03:50:07 EST 2017

Hallo Aaron,

if you’d like to have the full luxury of visual studio with test explorer and running/debugging tests directly as you can do it with other .NET based tests etc. you can try these extensions:

-          child process debugging power tools (https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=GreggMiskelly.MicrosoftChildProcessDebuggingPowerTool)

-          ctesttestadapter (https://github.com/micst/CTestTestAdapter/tree/master/dist)

For debugging tests you need both extensions: the first for hooking on the process that is launched by ctest.exe, the second for actual ctest integration in visual studio.

Compared to running your binary test-targets directly you will gain the advantage that you do not have to modify and debugging command line, you have all tests listed in a explorer windows with easy access and you get all verbose messages from ctest in the test explorer as well.

The VSIX extension is a fork from https://github.com/toeb/CTestTestAdapter with some changes and bugfixes. It's not tested very well but I use it every day and it works for me. Do not use the "ctesttestadapter" you can find directly in visual studio, it does not work with latest cmake.