[CMake] Future direction for FindCUDA

Mueller-Roemer, Johannes Sebastian Johannes.Sebastian.Mueller-Roemer at igd.fraunhofer.de
Wed Aug 30 05:06:00 EDT 2017

Hi,

we have encountered this issue as well, in our case when using thrust on the host side. We currently solve this by still using FindCUDA, even when using CMake 3.8/3.9, but only using the CUDA_*_LIBRARY and CUDA_TOOLKIT_INCLUDE variables and nothing else.

Instead of modifying what FindCUDA does, which would break backwards compatibility, FindCUDA could be split into FindCUDA and FindCUDALibraries or something like that.

Regards
Johannes

Fraunhofer-Institut für Graphische Datenverarbeitung IGD
Fraunhoferstr. 5  |  64283 Darmstadt  |  Germany
Tel +49 6151 155-606  |  Fax +49 6151 155-139
johannes.mueller-roemer at igd.fraunhofer.de | www.igd.fraunhofer.de

-----Original Message-----
From: CMake [mailto:cmake-bounces at cmake.org] On Behalf Of Siyuan Liu
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 07:05
To: cmake at cmake.org
Subject: [CMake] Future direction for FindCUDA

Dear all,

I've noticed the change to CUDA as a language in CMake 3.8. I've migrated to this new syntax, but this change leads to some difficulties for me with CMake. I think we should treat CUDA as not just a language but rather a language with some libraries.

Now that the FindCUDA module is deprecated, I cannot compile a file with GCC while linking to a CUDA library (since the CUDA_xxx_LIBRARY variables are gone). The reason for not using NVCC is to save compilation time. Personally, I think FindCUDA should become a module for purely finding CUDA libraries for linking without anything related to the NVCC compiler (e.g. the cuda_add_executable macro).

My questions in short:
1. Can I link to CUDA libraries with GCC while not using FindCUDA?
2. What's your opinion on my suggestion about FindCUDA?

Regards,
Siyuan