[CMake] target_link_libraries - private public interface rules

Miller Henry MillerHenry at JohnDeere.com
Tue Aug 22 09:44:13 EDT 2017

I've been playing with the private/public/interface keyword to target_link_libraries. It seems to me that WHAT they do is well documented, but nobody has ever actually documented what they correct rules of WHEN/WHY you should use any of them. After a lot of misstarts I think I've started to understand what the rules should be. I think they need to be written down someplace so that others don't have to make the mistakes I have. Also it would be nice if others would look this list over to see what else might be overlooking.

Can somebody point me to a good place to do this? Sending to the mailing list seems like a poor solution as corrections will not be easily findable.  A wiki seems ideal, but which? KDE in particular should probably have these rules in their official requirements, but I'm not sure if they are the correct ones to own them.