[CMake] CMake + Gradle for Android

Robert Dailey rcdailey.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 12:33:05 EDT 2017

Basically, yes. We have this sort of structure:

<Root of git clone>/
    Applications/
        App1/
            build.gradle
            CMakeLists.txt
        App2/
            build.gradle
            CMakeLists.txt
        App3/
            build.gradle
            CMakeLists.txt
    CommonLib/
        build.gradle
        CMakeLists.txt
    CMakeLists.txt

The libs are defined as follows:

* CommonLib is a static library (java code builds into a library)
    * No dependencies of its own
* App1 is a shared library (java code builds into a library)
    * Dependencies (both java & native): CommonLib
* App2 is a shared library (java code builds into an APK)
   * Dependencies (both java & native): App1, CommonLib
* App3 is a shared library (java code builds into an APK)
   * Dependencies (both java & native): CommonLib

In all cases, CMake must be invoked starting at the root
CMakeLists.txt 1 time. Each target can be built from the same binary
directory after that. Previously with ANT, I was building all native
targets first, then moved libs to appropriate directories so that the
'ant' command would package the libs.

For gradle, I wanted to avoid redundantly specifying the root
directory in each leaf-level project directory. Using the example
above, the leaf-level directories in this case would be App1, App2,
App3, and CommonLib. However I think we only specify the native CMake
stuff for the java targets that actually output an APK (that would be
App2 and App3 only).

The ultimate goal is to specify stuff that doesn't change per
independent "module" of ours at the top level so it is transitive /
inherited. Then only specify the differences (e.g. the native CMake
target to build) in the leaf build gradle files. However you indicated
this isn't possible.