[CMake] CPackWIX and MS Visual Studio Redistributable *.MSM

Nils Gladitz nilsgladitz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 02:46:41 EDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 3:10 PM, Matwey V. Kornilov <
matwey.kornilov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What is recommended way to locate and merge MS redistributable *.msm file
> into final *.msi installer produced by CPack and WIX?
>
> It seems to be a quite common task but I cannot find any mention.

 I've never tried this myself.

You probably already found:

http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/howtos/redistributables_and_install_checks/install_vcredist.html

Perhaps the patch mechanism in the WIX generator can be used to insert the
required snippets into the generated XML:

https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/module/CPackWIX.html#variable:CPACK_WIX_PATCH_FILE

I don't outright know where the msm files are stored or what would be the
best way to locate them.

I suppose it might not be that common in a CMake context because it would
be CPack generator and compiler specific while the competing
https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/module/InstallRequiredSystemLibraries.html
is both generator and compiler agnostic.

Nils