[CMake] What is the default build type?

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Wed Aug 2 14:42:52 EDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 1:32 PM, David Cole <DLRdave at aol.com> wrote:
> Very cool, Marcus. Thanks for the blog post.
>
> Florian, when you "message(${CMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPES})" it is empty
> because you are using a single-configuration CMake generator. Only
> Visual Studio and Xcode (and possibly other) **multi** config
> generators have a list of values in CMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPES.
> Contrary to the previous recommendation, I would NOT recommend setting
> it to a list in a single configuration generator. If you're using a
> multi-config generator, you can set up a subset for it to use with
> this, but in a single config generator, this variable SHOULD be empty,
> and you should not give it contents in that case.

Terrible English, try number two... Why would you not recommend
setting it, and what do you mean by it? I was not setting
CMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPES to anything, but the CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE
property is manipulated to offer the list, and then the
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE variable is populated if it is empty in my example.